Signs of a Pedophile
Some of the following characteristics of a pedophile still take me by surprise (highlighted are the shockers or scary aspects). We all need to be aware of those around us, especially those around our children.
Characteristics of a Pedophile
· Popular with both children and adults.
· Can be trustworthy and respectable. Has good standing in the community.
· Prefers the company of children. Feels more comfortable with children than adults. They are mainly attracted to prepubescent boys and girls. Can be heterosexual, homosexual, or bisexual.
· “Grooms” children with quality time, video games, parties, toys, gifts, money or candy.
· Singles out “troubled” children or ones in need of attention or affection.
· Often dates or marries women with children that are the age of his preferred victims.
· Physical contact is usually gradual, from touching, to picking up, to holding on lap, to kissing, etc.
· Finds different ways and places to be alone with children.
· Mostly male, masculine, better educated, more religious than average. In their thirties and choosing jobs that allow greater access to children.
· Are usually family men, have no criminal record, and deny that they abuse children, even after caught, convicted, incarcerated, and court ordered into a sex offender program. The marriage is often troubled by sexual dysfunction and serves as a smokescreen for the pedophile’s true preference and practices.
· Are often but not always themselves victims of childhood sexual abuse.
· Their home is usually child friendly with toys, video games, swing sets, skateboards, pool, snacks, etc.. (Things to attract children to their home and keep them coming back)
· A female pedophile usually abuses a child when partnered with an adult male pedophile and is often herself a victim of chronic abuse.
· A pedophile can act independently or be involved in an organized ring, including the internet, NAMBLA(North American Man Boy Love Association), and other pro-pedophilia groups. Some recognize their behavior as criminal and immoral, and so, operate in secrecy. Some may be open and quite militant about their acts. They may advocate the normalization of pedophilia under the guise of freedom of speech and press, and use innocuous language like “intergenerational intimacy”.
Experts agree that pedophiles will not stop on their own, and will not turn themselves in. A pedophile does not take responsibility for his behavior and denies that they are doing anything harmful. They will abuse until caught.
Agreed also is the fact that they cannot be cured, just treated. Their sexual preference has always been and will always be, children. Their urges will always be present.